Blocs 4.1 New Features

One feature I would like to see is that when exporting a project, it would create one includes file for the head tags and menu instead of that code being in each and every file. I believe this would help with SEO and would also help with making changes to the html outside of blocs.

You mean that Blocs creates a CSS file and links to it instead of injecting the added code to the are of the html files? I’d second that. What I did so far was creating an external stylesheet for exactly that reason. A cumbersome process, since Blocs is not able to update changes when I edited the stylesheet. I always had to re-add it to the project. Tad annoying though.

Something that - I think - was already mentioned somewhere else… but when selecting colours (for background or text) in the class editor, it would be nice to have it open the swatch palette instead of Apple’s color tool palette. Wonder why it is that way…

And if I may add one more, concerning the class editor: When I revisit a project I often struggle to remember what I changed, using the class editor. How about having the areas that I changed or edited appear in a slightly different color to make it easier to see where I changed css rules already? Like so maybe:

5 Likes

@Norm
Are there plans to make multi-page sites sanely manageable at all during Blocs 4.x? There was pre 4.0 discussion saying yes, there would be something, but as I outlined in my feedback, what was done - if almost more painful than how it was before. There are ways to correct this would doing a full-blown file manager, but I did take months to migrate my content to Blocs, and indeed even bought up to 4.x as I like Blocs in general, but also considering the amount of content pages I have, I’d like to know if I’m back to considering other platforms, as I can not add another 100+ content pages under the existing system sanely, etc.

Happy to take it to an offline convo in the event you have any plans to do more than single page drag/drop re-order, etc. Thanks!

Do you also have content, which work like a blog? So several posts underneath a main page?

Hi @rtp, I’m running a 170 page (and counting) site with blocs. I’m not recognising myself in your frustration. I created several page templates which I use each time. Blocs can be saved as templates as well. So drag and drop is a common procedure on my site. For me, only a handful of pages need regular updates and to even simplify this I’m adding @Jannis Volt CMS to these pages as we speak.

2 Likes

But a folder heirarchy would be very handy!

4 Likes

Indeed, a “folder” type hierarchy as in operating systems, where only the name of the page appears on each line, being able to click on each line (page name) a right button to choose the options that now appear (eliminated , settings, etc …) and be able to click and drag to change the order or location of the page

3 Likes

How to install it?

Responsive font sizes

Bootstrap v4.3 ships with the option to enable responsive font sizes, allowing text to scale more naturally across device and viewport sizes. RFS can be enabled by changing the $enable-responsive-font-sizes Sass variable to true and recompiling Bootstrap.

To support RFS, we use a Sass mixin to replace our normal font-size properties. Responsive font sizes will be compiled into calc() functions with a mix of rem and viewport units to enable the responsive scaling behavior. More about RFS and its configuration can be found on its GitHub repository.

https://tinigin.ru/languages/css/bootstrap_4_with_responsive_font_sizes.html

that’s the solution I always use… but you maybe know how perfectionists think :see_no_evil:

Voting closes in 2 days. Could those of you who have voted for “Payment interactions” explain why that is the single most important feature of Blocs?

I am not clear what the specifics of those “interactions” even are. Are you?

Sure, if I could drop a bric on the page and magically have everything setup for me, automatically (which is only possible if Blocs reads my mind), it would make sense. But surely there will be a lot of setup required, especially for folks who have never taken Payments before, so I really don’t see what the advantage of that new feature is.

Why will “payment interactions” be such a revolutionary feature?

Thanks.

Doesn’t the history of e-commerce across the web and mobile just in the last decade speak for itself? So how would such features not benefit users?

1 Like

It obviously does not as per the fact I asked. So specifics from you (and not just a link) would be appreciated.

In light of how you reacted to my question, I should add that I am of the STRONG OPINION that there is no stupid question. It clearly is stupid to you, but a soft and kind answer would be a wonderful blessing indeed to me and everyone else who has the same question. But even if I was the lone man on planet earth asking the question, I would still boldly ask that question. A good Q&A is a learning experience that should be treasured, not chastised.

I don’t know, hence my question. But bear in mind I am asking why that feature is winning the vote in light of the fact it is contending with some other very good feature proposals. I want to know why “payment interactions” (whatever that is SPECIFICALLY, I do not know) is so much better than any other feature currently being voted upon. For example, why can’t I add a Paypal link right now? Why the new feature? What does that new feature do for me that I cannot do right now in terms of getting paid via my website?

What I expect for the payment options:

Option 1: Bric with some most used options, add a button, give id or what parameters the different platforms required. I think @Whittfield and @Norm already talk about this possibility in early posts.

The Option I expect: Buttons and CART LIST from different platforms, EMBED in our webpages… :slight_smile: :partying_face:

So with @Eldar tutorials, for layout products and search filters, and with new payment / cart options Embed in our webpage we have “almost” an e-commerce shop.

And probably putting all this together with Volts or a different CMS we can make costumer load and remove the products !!!

This probably is what the users like me wish… @Norm, am I close?

2 Likes

Payment interaction is really a very cool idea, I hope you will implement it soon

It would be great if Norm can work some magic with implementing a Ecwid store into blocs. The standard embed code from Ecwid is complete bloat and very slow loading; especially the shopping bag code… slow.

1 Like

@Norm, obviously asset clean up is valuable. Hopefully if it doesn’t make the cut for 4.1 it will for 4.2. Speed and efficiency is the most important part to me. It is usually the most important part of website stickiness and a big part of SEO. That said, if someone is monitizing their website then store performance a lot. Asset reduction is important but fast code (implemented by Blocs) is paramount.

ability to wrap blocs into divs would be a life saver for js integration!

@Pealco
Thank you for providing some clarification! It’s not crystal clear in my mind yet, but it isn’t in your mind either. Basically, you are telling me this fancy new feature MIGHT be a full blown Cart Checkout system. If true, then I can see merit in it. But will it really be that? (Even you said it is ALMOST an e-commerce shop, and that world ALMOST is a big word!) If not a complete Cart Checkout system, is it worth voting for?

In other words, if that feature doesn’t ultimately satisfy the e-commerce requirements of all the people voting for that feature, logic dictates we ought to vote for a different new feature in Blocs.

In other words, we need more information to vote in a truly informed way with regard to “Payment Interactions.” The other 4 voting choices are much more clear. Well, “Prevent layout elements being exported” wasn’t clear until I provided clarity on what it really means, and is why I am currently voting for it.

@JDW Relax, it’s just a vote for a preference and everybody gets a chance to express an opinion in the poll above. It seems pretty obvious your choice is less popular. I guess other users have a different wish list.

3 Likes