Blocs 4 System Requirements

Now that we are starting to get glimpses of whats to come with Blocs 4, the system requirements have been revealed by Norm. Are you part of a referral program with Apple to sell hardware, just kidding. :laughing:

Norm can you explain that a bit further, just trying to understand what features or aspects of the Blocs app necessitate that OS requirement. I’m only wondering since various other native mac apps support Big Sur and still remain further backwards compatible than Blocs. I’m not seeking to start a discussion amongst other users about which macOS is better or discuss their relative extended support and security release aspects. Instead just understand what aspects of Blocs facilitates these OS requirements.

I’m not advocating other apps but for example Sparkle 3 which just released a new version, it supports Big Sur and all the way back to OS X 10.9. RapidWeaver supports OS X 10.12 along with Big Sur. Of course there are many other examples that commonly still support 10.12 thru Big Sur. But perhaps the most exemplary example is Affinity’s line of cutting edge design products which support OS X 10.9 through Big Sur. I mean granted I believe Affinity is written in C++ but it still uses Objective-C for the interface and macOS specific features.

By contrast are there breakneck feature(s) Blocs has or uses that necessitate otherwise regarding the OS requirements? The only thing that seems to makes sense at face value compared to others is that •* Blocs is basing it solely on Apple’s macOS EOL dates and incrementing requirements based upon that. Of course I understand its easier from a development standpoint to advance with the times and not deal with supporting legacy installs. But if so, I wonder why are the other examples listed above along with others still doing so, being also small teams?

For the record I’ll be able to install Blocs 4 so thats not an issue. But it may effect or concern other current Blocs users in regards to upgrading to Blocs 4. I’m just trying to understand better these reported Blocs 4 system requirements. Other users might be interested also. :wink:

Thanks, congrats on nearing a new major release with Blocs 4! I didn’t want to clog up one of the other threads where it was breifly discussed.

•* Is that what you are saying with your last comment?

2 Likes

I had planned to do a blog post or a forum thread in greater detail before the launch.

I’m dropping High Sierra (even though V4 currently works on it) because HS is likely to lose security updates next year and because I want to try and avoid dropping support for OS versions during the main life span of v4, due to compatibility issues.

I can’t comment on the folks building Rapid Weaver, Sparkle or the teams building the Affinity apps. Why or how they still support older versions of MacOS is not a question I can answer, maybe ask them :man_shrugging:.

Keeping up with the twists and turns of MacOS since I built v1 of Blocs has been a good learning experience. Apple kind of force you to look forward, I try to embrace that. Other app developers like the team at Sketch do the same.

I also try to keep the code base clean, which is an even greater challenge if you need to consider old OS, it has potential to take development time away from new features and support for the next OS.

Let’s not forget Mojave can be run on most 2012 Macs, those Macs are almost a decade old.

7 Likes

If Apple follows their usual procedure I believe security updates for High Sierra ended the day Big Sur shipped. Mojave still runs on my 2010 Mac Pro with no patches or hacks, however it did require an upgraded video card that could have been found used or refurbished for about £50.

A year from now that will run into the same issue as High Sierra faces now, once Apple stops with the security updates, however it would be hard to complain about 11 years of virtually 24/7 use. If I am feeling brave or foolish I could try the dosdude patch and install a more recent version of the OS, but the security side really should not be underestimated these days.

It’s purely a guess on my part but I would imagine most people on this forum use their computers in some way for work, even if they are not professional web designers. In that light new hardware just has to be figured in as a business cost sooner or later. Certainly the new silicon machines will be a huge leap forward in terms of performance and security compared to anything currently stuck on high Sierra.

:smile: I’m not looking to do an industry survey just wanted to understand better as it pertains directly to Blocs. So thank you for taking the time to give feedback and insight into this inquiry. Yes I too trust very few if any Blocs users will be unable to meet the new qualifications to move forward.

Given your above stated approach we should all be in great anticipation for what new features Blocs 4 will bring. Since as you stated such an approach allows for more concise focus in that regard.

But may I ask then regarding embracing forward thinking and security which are each commendable. Why did you choose to wait two years to update the included versions of both bootstrap and jquery used within Blocs 3 after its initial launch, as that seems to run contrary to either approach.

Thanks again, onward and upward. :rocket:

It wasn’t by choice, as you know we are a small company and we try to keep up but unfortunately some things pass us by. Moving forward, we plan to make a greater effort to keep track of such changes.

We are always learning, looking forward and trying to improve.

2 Likes

Indeed that seems to be enough to appease most users as I don’t think many were even aware. But it’s encouraging to hear you will now make the choice to address that aspect.

If needed you can use the github feature to setup notifications and subscriptions to have awareness of releases. Both bootstrap and jquery are on there so you don’t need to manually worry about keeping track. Another alternative is {newreleases .io} which is quite encompassing.

Thanks again for your time responding and good luck with the Blocs 4 launch.