Blocs for iPadOS

Would love to have this app on the iPad. Definitely with the new 2020 iPad Pro’s with the new keyboard with trackpad would be a dream to use! Since there is now mouse, keyboard, and track support, we can use app’s just like we do on a desktop or laptop. I see many apps that can take advantage of what’s coming in iPadOS 13.4 and sure a lot of things will make the iPad a more capable device that will take it one step further in becoming a laptop replacement. Can’t wait to see what iPadOS 14 will bring to the table in terms of keyboard, mouse and trackpad support as well!

I’ve been waiting for the day to finally move from a MacBook to an iPad. The iPad is starting to become the perfect device for me which will replace my MacBook.

With that being said, I would hope to see this come true!

7 Likes

True even a little bit simpler version that could sync projects with macos version would be nice. A lot my work is to “sketch” a project, and move around the content. Ipad is great for that.

1 Like

Another vote for this; also syncing with MacOS version would be a bonus. Simple swapping between Custom Blocs between platforms would be amazing as well.

1 Like

Those doing professional video work have already made the move from the beloved MacBook Pro to the iPad Pro because it does the job better. I know, it sounds weird, but it’s true. Same with many graphics designers. I would think your wish will be coming true very soon, as Apple moves away from Intel to ARM processors this coming year.

Did you add your wish to the Blocs 4 Wish List?

1 Like

@AngelArs

Sorry, but I don’t agree with you and I don’t believe this statement. Define professional video work. Filming? Watching the dailies? Checking the recorded scenes? Spotting sessions? Video editing? Colour grading? Sound stage recording/mixing? What exactly?

• How’s about, connected devices for example like the RED recording tools, field recorder, sync and broadcast gear?

• Final Cut Pro is not the only software the film industry uses. There is Adobe, Avid, and then there is also very much also Davinci Resolve. Are these professional software packages also existing for iPads?

• Does the job better? How?

• Everything looks good on a small screen, also the unnoticeable 4K/8K details. Editing with a finger or pen?

I am not at all convinced that professionals moved already from the MBP to an iPad.

1 Like

I do somewhat agree with @StFoldex,

There are however a growing number of video editors using iPad. LumaFusion is supper fast, and I have used it instead of iMovie at times. Depending on what you are doing it’s a fantastic option. And it might come down to the definition of professional. A YouTuber could technically be called a pro if they were making money, but they aren’t making feature films.

1 Like

Professional as in, professional. Most of my clients make TV commercials but it certainly doesn’t end there.

I understand how you feel. I used to feel the same exact way. But after 2 or 3 clients told me about how fast the new iPad Pro was I went out and bought one. I’m a believer now. I think it’s hard for people to understand just how much better the Pro version of the iPad is over the standard model. It’s not just more bells and whistles, it’s a totally different beast. Don’t forget that the iPad Pro uses the same USB-C connection that the MacBook Pro does. It’s not just a lightning connector like the standard iPad has.

Just last week I had a client come in to buy the new 16" MPB to do professional video work with. I mentioned to him about the iPad Pro and he had the same reaction that you and I initially had. After showing him a few things from my iPad Pro he said he needed to do more research on it by asking around. I saw him again a few days ago and he was so happy that I had mentioned everything to him. He is now waiting for our stock to include the new (2020) 12.9 which he is going to now buy instead of the MBP.

The numbers for the 2018 iPad Pro (below) don’t lie. The 2020 iPad Pro will be even better yet;

Here is a video where they talk about this topic using an older 2018 iPad Pro. Keep in mind that this video was made before Apple allowed hard drives to plug directly into the iPad Pro, so things will be even better today;

There is a lot of mounting information about this on the net. As reviews for the new 2020 iPad Pro come out you’ll see more and more pros talking about this.

Also, when Apple says that the new iPad Pro (2020) is faster than most PC laptops, that is not just hype, it actually is. But this shouldn’t be a big surprise to anyone. Professionals have been using iPhones (not iPads) for various commercials and music videos for some time now (since the iPhone 6s). Thats what the whole “Shot on iPhone” was about.

BTW, there’s a very good reason why Apple will be switching from Intel processors to ARM processors in the new Macbooks, instead of using Intel processors in iPad Pros. The proofs in the pudding.

1 Like

I somewhat agree with you, but also disagree.

I have been using the iPad Pro 12.9-inch as my main device for 1.5 years now. I have edited about 150 videos with it, and I do prefer to edit the videos on my iPad Pro compared to even my 16-inch MacBook Pro. That being said, I can’t say that it is better.

If we are talking about video editing on iPad Pro vs MacBook Pro, iPad has two main advantages → 1) it’s more fun to use 2) It’s faster. MacBook also has two main advantages → 1) it has lots more video editing freedom (features) 2) Expandability (plugins, better external monitor support). I have even created a comparison between LumaFusion and Final Cut Pro, and iPad was faster (LumaFusion vs Final Cut Pro for 4K Video Editing - YouTube), but I am only doing simple video editing.

At the same time, video editing software on iPadOS is much less capable than the professional-grade applications like Adobe Premier or Final Cut Pro. For simple video editing, LumaFusion is amazing, it’s my favorite app on iPad Pro, but it’s definitely not professional enough for all cases.

It is an endless debate, what the word ‘Professional’ means when it comes to devices. People with MacBook Air can do a better professional job than people with MacBook Pro. If your profession require you to create super custom 3D efffects with lots of gradual edits and small details, LumaFusion is not professional for you, but if you just need to put together a good simple video, LF is a good option.

5 Likes

Thank you for your reply @AngelArs and all the suggested material. So we are talking mainly about video editing on an iPad.

I think it is very true indeed what Eldar said. For less demanding video editing you definitely achieve very good and already excellent results working on an iPad Pro. No doubt the ARM chip makes the iPad Pro faster than the MBP and other Apple devices. However, next year the other Apple devices will get also those ARM chips and then they are most likely faster (again) than a tablet.
I also want to note it is not only speed alone of a device or app alone that makes editing fast. It is also experience of the editor (the person).
LumaFusion has got max. 3 video tracks (or layers as some name it) and 3 audio tracks (layers). This is by far better than the in my opinion ‘sub-par crap of iMovie’ with its actually only 1 video layer (the other one is only for backgrounds usable) and if I remember rightly 1 audio track.

Yes, I see your point @AngelArs. One can do video editing on these small devices quickly and efficiently up to a certain point.

However, for the more serious work a non-tablet machine is needed where applications are stored with a lot of plugins and other software (and often hardware) additions. Creating a commercial where particles are needed (e.g. a lot of balloons, confetti etc.) a professional software needs to work this and other FX out.
For example, if one needs serious colour grading, there is only Davinci Resolve (the industry standard for it) – but this is not working on an iPad Pro. Same with the other professional software packages. But maybe this will change if more professionals really switch to tablets.

I always wondered people buying a tablet and then a keyboard extra. In my opinion the moving finger/s are less precise than a mouse. And obviously one needs an extra keyboard, because no one can rest a finger on the glass without immediately having typed an accidental letter. And ultimately one has to work on a tablet with a pencil. For this reasons I prefer a laptop (in Apple language a MBP). And there is also what Eldar mentioned the connection to a large monitor, may it be for music production or film editing. Unless the iPad Pro can be connected to a large monitor. But as in your research video it seems not.

I’m still hoping Apple will one day create a huge 50" tablet to be used as a monitor and we then can work directly on the monitor. Of course we all then will wear quite soon after – glasses, because we will all become short sighted. :laughing:

Just a little correction.

LumaFusion can do 6 video track timeline + 6 audio tracks (as audio is implemented in video too, technically 12 audio tracks in all)

1 Like

Ahh, thanks Eldar. This is even better.

I think those decrying iPad usage are perhaps missing the point that for some, it’s not a zero-sum choice; the iPad can enhance extendability by being another tool/screen/device to deal with projects on the go and in different contexts. I do applaud those who’ve gone full-bore development on an iPad. Someday, the workflows will improve, and the UI will be better suited for multitasking work.

Sorry for late reply. You are basing all of what you said on the A9X processor, not the A12X. Much different. Plus the new iPad Pro uses the same USB-C port that the Mackbooks use. The two year old iPad Pros use a lightning port. Again, much different.

Plus, Final Cut Pro has already been ported over for ARM processors (not released for public use right now). Once Apple releases ARM MacBooks this fall you will see a huge jump in performance for its already fast Final Cut Pro. You’ll also be able to use LumaFusion on the MacBook Pro too, so saving your files on the MacBook Pro and then using those same files again on the iPad Pro will give lots of freedom to creators which will be amazing. Plus it’s much easier to use the Pencil than a mouse to make precise tweaks.

It is. That’s why Apple has the pencil.

You can connect the new iPad Pro to anything with a HDMI port (or USB-C port via adapter). I am currently using my iPad Pro with a 75" monitor.

This fall Apple should release a 32" ARM iMac. Pair it with Sidecar and you will be all set.

No. I am using 2018 iPad Pro with USB-C port. It’s basically as powerful as the 2020 iPad Pro.

1 Like

Like I said, I have edited hundreds of videos with iPad and Pencil. I love it and its my favorite way of editing videos, but it’s not easier to make precise tweaks. Mouse is much easier, but then, it’s maybe just me.

Do you mean 75 inch TV? At the moment, external display support is way limited compared to Macs.

1 Like

2nd Gen?

Everyone I’ve ever met and all our Apple customers would say just the opposite. Maybe it’s the mouse you use?

Dell 75 4K Interactive Touch Monitor: C7520QT

I use Logitech MX Master 2. Maybe I have put it wrong. Pencil is great, but mouse is easier, and everyone I’ve ever met and all our Apple users I know say the same. Maybe it’s the mouse you use?
Try to do color grading in LumaFusion, and you will (probably) understand why I am saying so.

That’s cool. I can’t afford something like that, but I am sure it’s amazing. I wish iPadOS would not look ugly (aspect ratio) with black bars on each side on wide monitors.

Anyway, I am out.

Cheers,
Eldar

1 Like

That would be more of an issue with the LUTs used in LumaFusion than with the pencil. Same LUTs can be used with Final Cut Pro. This video shows how easy it is with the correct LUTs and using the pencil;

I am not talking about LUTs. I am talking about using Pencil vs using Mouse.
Anyway.

I thought this thread was about Blocs for iPad OS?

1 Like