Blocs v4 - wish list

Actually, the settings on the right seem to only be for element content - I am saying the same pattern should apply when selecting a page.

Asked differently - how many different ways to get to settings for different things do we need, versus a consistent ‘click on thing’ and it’s relevant settings are on the right? shrug From a UX point of view, it’s not as consistent as it could be.

Right now, to get to PAGE settings, I believe you have to drill into the page settings icon on the left. To get to element settings, you just click on it and it’s put into the SETTINGS pane on the right. Not consistent to me. :slight_smile: (the right click behavior is entirely secondary to this…)

Did I miss some path where page settings (such as those in the modal in the middle of screenshot) show up in the settings pane on the right? (possible, only on day 2)

PS - don’t take any of this as trying to be argumentative. I’m from a stubborn state, was in the military and tend to be blunt, while also having to wrangle the greased cats of multiple product teams as part of my day job. They’d be hearing the exact same thing on consistency and not just from me. Can always ignore the comment as I’m quite sure not all ‘wishes’ will be granted… :smile:

1 Like

The inspector (on the right) only shows settings for elements on the page.

There is also a keyboard shortcut to access page settings.

I’ve used Adobe Muse, and TBH towards the end of the development lifecycle it became almost unusable. The account manager was Dani Beaumont and she would use Facebook live to explain the latest features and functionality, but it almost became embarrassing watching her falter, as the ‘use cases’ were so obviously flawed that she would have to move on to the next example after failing miserably to adequately explain how they worked.
Instead of Adobe I prefer Affinity photo, design and publisher. Much better in my opinion.

Ability to wrap divs into divs (or in Blocs terms… two blocs into a parent container). I was trying to figure out out Ralf / @RME managed to create what he did here where you have an image filling 50% on one side with parallax enabled, and text on the opposite site. Thats something I wanted to use for my header but couldn’t figure out how to do with in Blocs. Then found Ralfs site and wondered how he managed to do that. Well, I could’ve asked… yeah …

I know how he did it now, which involves a custom class, that has to be applied to said parent container, which - it seems - only works if you edit the exported html to wrap a parent div around those two blocs / divs and apply display:flex to them whilst setting the width of each child div to 50%… wish something like that could be done in Blocs alone. Well, the width can, the rest needs some more work outside Blocs.

But hey, maybe my wish is already included in the current and privately beta tested version 4? :innocent:

1 Like

I would like to add @Norm for Blocs 4

A much better gradient for header text when over laying an image/background - seems all washed out with a grey mix in it.

Also shaped dividers as seem on another platform. Waves brings a new look to break a divide up, id love to see this now done in blocs as a standard shape divider - its time to break the Bloc square feel as we know it and build shape divider - not using code, not going to another platform to design it and bring it in, not mess with hrs playing around adding it - just a simple, yes id like to add a curve to my header - BOOM! there is it !

You can do this already.

Screenshot 2020-08-19 at 12.46.35

1 Like

Did you follow this? Specifically step 5.

1 Like

@pumpkin Blocs already has that facility. If you use structure group blocs you can set a different background image for each column and have the image set as parallax This will give the exact same effect as seen in the reference site.

1 Like

Thanks - ill have a play with it now. - would this be worth changing so when you select the white or any colours - it works out of the box in the colour?

But now - i know, this should be fine - thanks Norm.

1 Like

Woot! Thanks for pointing that out. Totally missed that one.

Working on trying to re-create an old site in blocs, here’s some v4 wishes/general feedback.
Will not apply to everyone, as most of my sites follow a general pattern of multiple pages, categories, and within each category, a number of article-type pages with comments enabled. No CMS.

File Mgmt/thumbnail view:

• Ability to order and re-order pages is important for any multi-page site. Even when dealing with only a few site ‘sections’ (categories, whatever), I want to keep them together, essentially mimicking the menu system, whereas any contact/about/blah templatized stuff goes at the bottom of the list. Injecting a new page should be where I want it. Likewise for duplicating page - don’t add it on the end, add it after the page being duplicated from then drag it to the end if that’s how you want it…
  • Would be great to have ‘sections’ of some time in file mgmt. This would in effect add to the above, and allow expand/collapse on sections in thumbnail view, which in my case, would strongly map to my menus for a site.

Editing:

• I know we can inspect elements, but highlighting an element in Blocs, right click and ‘show in class manager’ would really improve end to end flow…if multiple classes are relevant then highlight then in class manager.
  • I can’t seem to find a sane way to copy/clone an element within a bloc to then inject into another bloc.
  • would be nice to be able to ‘split’ a paragraph or similar bric. For example, doing how-to type of content, you realize that’s a lot of text, need to inject an example or image, media, … - ‘split here’ would let you take a paragraph/text bric and split it in two, then you’d inject an image/whatever in between.

Misc:

• Baked in image caption option would be nice. I’ve yet to sort how to sanely do for example, a two section bloc, text on left, image on right, add a paragraph below the image, then lock it to be centered or left aligned to the image and not the bric boundaries. Could well be on this one, but - this should be simple, IMO.

More inevitably later. :slight_smile: @Norm - I know you said ‘3 top items’ - happy to dump this to another thread if that’s better/preferred…

4 Likes

And another - ability to copy any element from the left hand page inspector, to paste into - a different page.

I see with latest you can duplicate a bloc into another page, but need the same for brics and layout elements…ideally via CMD-C/CMD-V copy/paste behavior (in the event it’s also menu driven like blocs)…

2 Likes

@Norm, this is all that is keeping me from buying Blocs.

3 Likes

Menu manager to have some representation of hierarchy based on menu/submenu etc.

1 Like

Thanks for all the feedback!

I’m going to close this post off now, as I think I have enough to keep me busy :wink:

Anyway, thank you all for taking the time to provide your ideas, Im very grateful for your continued interest in Blocs :raised_hands:

8 Likes