Blocs V5 - discovered bugs so far

Hey everyone who has commented in this thread, we are starting to prepare the first beta of Blocs 5.0.1 with the hope to release it later this week. Although we may not have directly replied to you, we know this thread exists and will work our way through it.

Lots of fixes and improvements on route.

9 Likes

Hi
During a couple of days exploring the app kept crashing. Always when clicking on a new action - new bloc or brick, new edit, new class…

On a iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) Catalina 10.15.7

Richard

Thanks Jannis…Still not clear “why” I would need to do this since I only use a small segment of my accumulated graphics on any particular day, but I will wait for word from my new mentor, Jerry, to enlighten me. :laughing:
Hey, could you finish your image bric? :shushing_face:

If you keep on adding assets to your project file (if you selected the option to embed them), the project file might get karret and larger until you’re not able to handle it any more.

:shushing_face: telling you a secret :zipper_mouth_face:: it’s already finished, but documentation and tutorial video isn’t ready by know :wink:

Finally…something that makes sense to me…Thank you

shushing_face: telling you a secret :zipper_mouth_face:: it’s already finished, but documentation and tutorial video isn’t ready by know :wink:

Need any help?

Rich the Weather Guy

Just upgraded to Blocs5 and I noticed 2 potential issues using macOS 10.15.7 on a stable system.

When I open Blocs5 and select any of the great looking templates, none of the images show in the any of the templates. Am I being silly and missing out a further stage?

Secondly, chosing a blank template opens a blank edit window OK. When I click the add a Bloc plus symbol, the Blocs show, but scrolling down to see the blocs, starts off very slow and soon becomed unmanagable. A first swipe of the mouse scroll takes about 1s for the first scroll to happen. After that, each scroll takes longer and longer. If I select a Bloc, then everything seems to settle down and the Blocs scroll is OK. I have restarted the Mac and the behaviour is the same.

I’m wondering if Blocs is busy doing something. Blocs 2, 3 & 4 were always OK on same system. On installation I chose not to embed images in document.

Hi,

I think the issue is with WEBP image support (lack of) by the system.

Thanks. So I guess there is no jpg/png fallback yet. I hope there will be.

It sounds like those templates should have used jpg rather than webp images to avoid this on an older OS. Blocs is basically using Safari as the preview engine. This wouldn’t happen on Ventura for example, which would display the webp without issue.

Currently 21% of browsers don’t display webP images. Also, using an older macOS is a great way to test a web site. Agree, those images and all template images should really be jpgs.

As @Eldar mentioned the templates use WebP to reduce the footprint of Blocs. However, I didn’t realise Apple still hadn’t added support for WebP in 10.15. It’s likely that we will address this in a future update.

1 Like

I am not quite sure where you have arrived at that figure of 21%. The figures I’m seeing suggest it’s well below 5%. It’s basically old abandoned IE and Safari on old OS versions. Given that Chrome has such a huge share of the market it’s hard to see how 21% of browsers do not support webp.

It’s an easy fix for the templates. It will just make the Blocs downloads a little bigger.

I have just tried adding some text to a site and seen that line breaks are showing in the layer navigator but not on the actual canvas, despite being enabled in the canvas settings.

1 Like

The figures are missleading due to Android Chrome usage worldwide and IOS usage. Desktop Safari 16 is only 0.5% and the macOS Big Sur or newer Safari >16 usage is probably not globally significant. So it’s risky to assume that it’s just old macOS and IE or to assume that Mac or iOS users automatically upgrade every year. The safest approach is to use webP only if you have jpg/png fallback.

1 Like

The fallback handling of Blocs 5 is pretty good. It even creates fallback for custom Brics which is handy.

1 Like

This is fixed in 5.0.1 (beta coming soon).

2 Likes

Looks like text-justify was dropped in Bootstrap 5 (I had missed that) It’s fixed up in Blocs 5.0.1

4 Likes

FAB!!! - Thanks @Norm

Minor issue with the publish manager. To connect to my hosting company the address is ‘ftp.gb.stackcp.com’. When the upload is complete there is a button saying ‘view in browser’ which goes to the ftp URL not the URL of my website. Doesn’t break anything and for some hosting companies the address will be the URL of the website.

If you set the url in project settings that will sort this.

1 Like