ChatGPT & MacGPT

In order for the system to function properly and report to servers, it is necessary to input your API key. If the API key is not entered, the system will not be connected and will not work.

3 Likes

Amazing feature :heart_eyes:

1 Like

You are probably right, I thought about that. I’ll wait for @Norm to confirm. I may just revert to hand coding again. I don’t have any use for AI laziness. In addition it’s bias is obvious and not welcome into my life and writings.

Off is the default setting. You need to manually turn it on, sign up to have an open AI account and manually input your API key. And even then, it only sees what you input into it.

Communication is made via an API call in which your request is sent as a plain text string to the OpenAI server, its response text is then inputed into the selected Bric.

4 Likes

Meanwhile, in Italy… :rage::rage::rage:

:rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage:

The first of many countries to ban ChatGPT, I suspect.

1 Like

I have a little good news. I don’t like the idea of solely relying on Chat GPT for an assistant feature in Blocs, so I wrote my own sentence recognition algorithm that runs direly on your Mac. It’s obviously not as superior as Chat GPT but it’s fast, free and runs locally.

Right now it can be used to generate basic layouts. You can see it working here:
https://twitter.com/blocsapp/status/1642887797878005765?s=20

8 Likes

Another layout generation example: https://twitter.com/blocsapp/status/1642894411569811456

This is pretty cool. It will be interesting and hopefully useful to see what this little bit of tech grows up to be! Nice job!

1 Like

:+1:

Very good move.

4 Likes

I am half expecting Apple to release something AI related that can be leveraged by 3rd party apps with the next OS release, though I wouldn’t be surprised if it was Silicon only.

3 Likes

Added an output for the conversation with the Blocs assistant. Everything happening here is not using Chat GPT, just local processing. Still very early days but its fun to see it take shape.

https://twitter.com/blocsapp/status/1643666964030554143

2 Likes

I could see this becoming very useful for users with accessibility issues. I recently purchased an iPhone and found myself making increasing use of voice dictation to avoid typing. Could we feasibly have this AI managed via voice control?

2 Likes

Yeah I was thinking the same, I have been tinkering with voice dictation but the Mac is a touch behind iOS so it’s not as streamlined and a bit clunky.

I think it also potentially opens the door to actions (like photoshop) which could also be useful.

2 Likes

Yes I’ve noticed the Mac seems to be a step behind for dictation. Voice controlled actions could be huge.

1 Like

Pretty cleaver to be blending the two like that :grin: or will you go completely localised AI?

1 Like

I think it’s nice for Blocs users to have options.

Basically what’s happening right now is Blocs try’s to figure stuff out locally (which is fairly limited atm) then it passes the command to chat GPT if it can’t make sense of it.

I’ll keep it this way, with the possibility of disabling external AI which is down to the users.

3 Likes

Nice approach I think.

Helps maintain the sales of tinfoil :alien:, and really keeps Blocs current with the way the market is going.

Did you use ChatGPT to write the localised AI :joy:

2 Likes

Ha, no.

It’s not local AI, more an algorithm. But I got GPT to help me create the giggle animation on the Blocs organiser mode :sunglasses:

I’ve found the code quality is ok, it tends to work better with objective-c than swift and it has a habit of making up its own properties for the MacOS API.

Still fairly impressive.

1 Like

I found that too, although for JavaScript. It would call non existent functions, and loose context sometimes. But I do find it handy as a time saver.

Interesting it’s not as good with swift.

AI the over used term for everything, until it tells us one day to call it HAL.

1 Like