Experience with OLD Mac..... turning NEW one again

Hopefully you will have a new machine as mine is… :crossed_fingers:

Yeah be interesting. I have been trying to think of a use for this Mac mini for a while. Maybe this will open some more options.

If I have a Mac mini I install MAMP and I redirect a domain to this computer and put all my clients demos, so there is no issue with google and robots or search bots. And probably a NEXTCLOUD installation as well and a OSTICKET.

Oh never thought about doing that. I use MAMP Pro running locally usually for CMS development.

Whats the process for setting that up? Is it complicated? I assuming its best to have a static IP?

I use and pay for 5 years a dyndns account so instead of having a static IP you have a dyndns redirect in your router and you can in DYNDNS add your own domain to that address.

1 Like

Once the indexing has finished, I will run it through it paces (maybe in the morning, its already 12:20am here ops.)

Funny thing, is that the right click for the Magic Mouse was unticked as default. I had to enable it. ?

EDIT: replaced image to remove serial number lol

1 Like

Well I’ve been having a bit of a time of things! As my previous message said, the Fusion drive wouldn’t verify or repair, so in recovery mode I reformatted the HD, having made a SuperDuper bootable clone of the drive.

Installed Mojave, upgraded to Catalina, restarted and it wouldn’t. Back to recovery mode again, and this time the Fusion drive had ‘split’ (like @Pealco mentioned earlier), so fixed that, went through the whole lot of Catalina installation again and booted up fine.

Tried both Migration Assistant and change of startup disk to choose the SuperDuper backup to clone relevant files back to HD, and it couldn’t ‘bless’ the boot files, so I can’t start up from it get things as they were!

Keychain access has managed to keep a lot of my passwords for me, so that’s good, and now I’m starting the looooong trawl through the backup disc to copy over what I think are the relevant files needed for Transmit (ftp programme passwords), and moreso Mail, which has briefs for a few jobs on there, currently on hold. So if anyone knows where I should be looking for anything relevant you can think of, please let me know - I’m a bit desperate (Mail will also have my Blocs authentication key in it alongside numerous others)!

The last thing is that the SuperDuper disk has obviously corrupted. My desktop and applications folder have disappeared, so trying to get everything back in place now. Adobe Suite is all fine and downloaded again, but everything else gone, blocs, the add ons I bought for it, and a lot of personal stuff I had in a desktop folder.

I’m assuming I’m going to have to wait until I’ve done what Ithink is everything needed copied across to the new OS then restart just to see what may be missing? In the meantime - any pointers would be much appreciated, after all, I’m looking at progress bars for a couple of days now! Cheers all.

If you ask on the shirt pocket forums I bet you the developer of SuperDuper will have an idea how to fix that. He’s knows this stuff inside out.

Yeah, he’s good, I’ve contacted him before, but files and folders just aren’t there on the backup disc, so not too sure what he could do.
It’s not as though I’m not sure what to do, as I’ve done it a good few times in the past (auto-repopulate a Mac from the auto-backup), but I’ve always been able to see the full set of files and folders.

I wondered if this might be security related since you are importing from an older OS. Either that or your copy settings were wrong. Just checked and I’ve been using SuperDuper since 2005. Purchased for £11 and never once charged a penny for upgrades with different OS versions.

It may well be, I’ve been using it since about 2008 and up until yesterday, only came across problems once.
I won’t know how all of my manual copying has gone until I restart, but slowly getting there - I think.

Just keep in mind that while you might “technically” install the OS, it will not support all the features of 10.15, simply because all the other chipsets do not support those features.

I’ve had this issue with SuperDuper several times before. When I asked on the SuperDuper forum about how to fix it the developer gave me a smart-as* reply, which I thought was rather unprofessional. Maybe he was having a bad day or something but it was enough for me to give Carbon Copy Cloner a try. When I used CCC it found the corruption that SuperDusper couldn’t, and it (CCC) finished the backup anyway (plus it was faster than SuperDuper). Once the backup was completed I simply fixed the bad files that CCC told me about and now SuperDuper works again. Next week I plan to buy CCC and just start using that instead as my main backup program. It also has some additional features that I like. Bottom line - CCC has a 30 day trial. You might want to use that to fix your SuperDusper issues and see if that helps you.

@BricsForBlocs tank you for your input and help…
In my case I have a new feature that I haven’t in my actual computer is that I can use my remote control to switch the presentation as I have with El Capitan… (IR)

I hear you guys! When the bar got to the last minute here, it stood there for at least 30! And suddenly PUM!

PUM of happiness or PUM it broke everything???
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

1 Like

PUM!?!?!?!
What a word. Hero.

1 Like

I found this already with Mojave. I was able to install the update normally with no patch after upgrading the graphics card, but I cannot run Filevault on the Mac Pro and other features like Airdrop are basically limited. Certain things just don’t work as well on old computers and there will be a few compromises, even if it has installed the OS.

A happy PUM :ok_hand: !! I am now considering getting a SSD and more RAM as the little dude is rocking now.

On a related matter, I also have it cable-connected to my Yamaha audio amp through the headphone output and the amp’s phono output back to the mini’s mic input, and with Airfoil I send the phono audio to an iPhone 5 (running Airfoil Speakers) connected to a H K Soundstick speakers in order to be able to listen my lp’s in the living room without running cables. BUT the latest Airfoil versión 5.8.8, compatible with Catalina, just couldn’t recognize the built-in input from the mini :angry: making this setup kind of useless. Contacted Airfoil support, who promptly responded, sending me an alternative patched version, which couldn’t make it work either. But after installing Airfoil 4.9.2, it began working from the get-go. Why? I’d say like Queens of the Stone Edge use to say: No One Knows.

That’s because the OS is dependent on other things, like for one example, the Bluetooth chipset version, which because it is much older simply does not support those functions. I would also imagine that things like RAM and the wear and tear on the hard drive will start to have their own issues in time as they are for the most part, inadequate to run 10.15 properly. The OS X Swap File will try to compensate which will either add a lot of wear and tear (on older HDD) hard drives or use up the limited lifespan of SSD’s. I would actively monitor the S.M.A.R.T. analysis tool for signs of this and definitely do daily backups.