Google Search Issue

YES! One of the first things I do once I upload a new website, especially after any 301 redirects after updating an existing site.

1 Like

Well for goodness sake! How in the world is a person supposed to know these steps!!?? Do you happen to know of a sort of “master checklist” of sorts that I could check off to be assured that I’ve completed all the basic steps to insure my sites are properly indexed by Google and other search engines?

Even when you submit the sitemap, it can take a while for Google to even begin indexing the site. If you don’t submit the site, the only way Google is going to start indexing, is if another sites links to you site as far as I can see.

I read recently that Google updated a bunch of stuff in July. I have to admit I haven’t read up on anything for a while. I need to go and do some more research myself.

1 Like

To be honest, I think everyone here probably assumed you had done this already?? I had, but thought I would ask anyway.

I personally keep it really simple lol. I also encourage people to be active on social media.

1 Like

@Flashman, @OSTexo, @KBConcepts, @PeteSharp, @Norm, @Eldar

Does this perhaps shed any light on things? I see that the home page shows that it’s not ‘indexable’ (but have no clue why) I have included the canonical meta tag to each page. Here’s the index.html and testimonials.html. Both have the same tag, so why is one ‘Indexable’ and one "Not Indexable’?

05%20AM 28%20AM

Surely canonical links should show the full url like I detailed in a message above.

2 Likes

I had tried that, but still wasn’t getting indexed. I also downloaded and inspected a local competitor (main competitor who’s been building websites for 30 years) and they did it just like this. (index.html, rather than this: https://www.domain.index.html I’ve established that they are being indexed and ranked by Google and they are the top web design biz in my area, so if they’re doing it this way, it should be ok… ???

Oh, also, all the other pages listed above that indicate they “Are Indexable” are also declared in the same way I did the home page. (ie: contact.html, testimonials.html, etc) And it seemed to work for them.

I would go with Google on this one URL Canonicalization and the Canonical Tag | Google Search Central  |  Documentation  |  Google Developers

2 Likes

Thanks @Flashman

You can’t beat Googles own documentation. Although its a nightmare to find things sometimes. You always know when a UI was designed by a coder lol.

1 Like

I ran the site through ScreamingFrog and I see that every .html page says “non-indexible” because it’s canonicalized. I am so confused here. I thought I was SUPPOSED TO canonicalize. Am I doing it wrong?

Do any of you know why based on what you see here?

Personally I would use full URLs for the links.

Question. Have you set your preferred url in google console. Eg.

We see them as the same. But crawling they look like 2 site. If you have set a preference in your console you will want your canonical links to match.

On your website you have https://www.sullivanconstructionwi.com and https://sullivanconstructionwi.com

1 Like

where? How do I fix it?

I see I have ‘https://sullivanconstructionwi.com’ in the canonical tag, because what I read said don’t use the ‘www’ in the address. I’m honestly confused and at my whit’s end with all this. I’ve been researching every day for the past week and I’ve got no clarity at all yet on things like;

• domain records (which to use, how to use them)
  • canonical meta tags (exactly how to do them)
  • redirects in the .htaccess file
  • which Google accounts are crucial (Google My Business, Google Search Console, Google Webmaster Tools, Google Analytics, etc. etc. etc. etc)

I wish there was some sort of “Master Checklist” that every website needs somewhere. It’s just so much information and so much to remember. (not my strength) I need it written down so I can follow it and check things off.

I have hired a developer on Fiverr who claims to be able to straighten such things out, so I’m crossing my fingers that he/she actually can.

I appreciate all your time and input in helping me try to resolve this important issue.

I just noticed something. In the attached screenshot - from Google - they say use the canonical tag in all DUPLICATE pages. Am I not supposed to be using the canonical tag on the ACTUAL PAGES as I’ve done??? That would certainly change things!

It’s funny. I have done some very lazy builds in the past with minimal SEO. And no problems with being ranked well :thinking::rofl:

Don’t think the www or no www matters just as long as you are consistent. And make your host settings and .htaccess reflect that too.

I know what you’re saying. I can’t help but wonder if I’ve messed something up by working on so many different things. It shouldn’t be this difficult. This website has only been live for 3 months and the domain was never used prior to then so perhaps it just takes time???

I don’t have any evidence for this. But I think social media helps.

Make sure they have social media accounts with there website address listed. And get them sharing pages off their website occasionally.

So make sure your open graph and twitter card meta is all setup.

Sometimes it takes time to get traction.

I did set up a Facebook and an Instagram account for them and linked them to the website.

I have og tags embedded in the head tag. Is that what you mean?

I haven’t done anything with twitter. What is that?

1 Like

Similar to OpenGraph. But for Twitter.