Scrutiny with Blocs

@Flashman As to not hijack the other thread, I’m very intrigued by your reply. Is this the Scrutiny app you’re speaking of?

If so, this looks very promising as it appears to be a perfect companion for Blocs to fill in some of the SEO space. In particular this would actually solve another one of my problems, full text search within Blocs, which can be very hit or miss.

What is everyone’s thoughts on Scrutiny and are there any users among us? What other indispensable SEO tools are folks using?

Yes that is the one and I use it to check over every website. It has a bunch of features and scans websites like a bloodhound. At times it has helped to troubleshoot and even uncovered some bugs in Blocs that were then fixed.

2 Likes

Google Search Console it the most important tool everyone should use.

There are some other recommendations (like taking advantage of @brechtryckaert e-book) in my free SEO guide on Blocs Master.

2 Likes

It’s really good. I use it, probably not as thoroughly as @flashman, who put me on to it. If anything I am under utilising its full ability. Things like spell checking are great… especially for me :grin: and with international clients it’s fantastic. eg. American client, I can set their site to American spelling.

Also helpful, for new or updated sites, without having to wait for google to index it.

1 Like

@PatrickSalo I’ve changed the topic title to reflect the focus on Scrutiny with Blocs, because the old one was likely to attract spammers on the forum.

3 Likes

The same developer, PeacockMedia, have a very similar app in the app store (Mac) for much less money. It’s called Integrity Pro. I wonder how it differs from Scrutiny?

1 Like
3 Likes

Looking at that feature list Integrity Pro is the minimum you need for spell checking. If that fits your needs you should be fine. For the full site search you need Scrutiny though.

The developer is excellent for customer support and fixing bugs if they are discovered. She has even made changes in Scrutiny in the past specifically to accommodate Blocs.

3 Likes

For those of us who are not developers or pro website builders, this is much more reasonably priced I think.

Great thread…

Rich the Weather Guy

2 Likes

I tried the trial version of both Integrity Pro and Scrutiny. I can find very little difference, though haven’t really put either ‘through its paces’. Scrutiny searched 33 pages of a website I tested, while Integrity only 32. This is strange, because the site (in Blocs) only has 27 pages? The comparison which Jannis linked states the Integrity Pro doesn’t perform a full site search, but the ‘issues’ highlighted for the site I tested in the summary box are the same in both versions of the apps, so I’m not sure what Integrity is excluding. The spell checking appeared to bring up the same hits in both apps, though I have now deleted Scrutiny and bought Integrity Pro, so I can’t check that exactly.

1 Like

I would check the results and the list of pages shown. That may well point to a problem you were not aware of. I would also add that the settings can make a big difference into the way these apps work. You have both the project settings and the general preferences. Based on past experience Scrutiny or Integrity Pro are rarely wrong when you dig down into the details.

3 Likes

I would say you’re correct. Really depends on your needs.

If you’re using it a lot, it’s always nice to support a developer (she is friendly and engaging and fixes “any” bugs) and get Scrutiny. :smile:

3 Likes

If you are working professionally Scrutiny has certain features that can also help you like sending out branded reports that make you look clever and organised.

One feature they all have is link checking and that can reveal problems you almost certainly would have missed. For example, I had a case where Blocs was referencing images in the CSS that had long since been deleted from the project, but they were showing up as 404 errors. This helped to track down the bug.

4 Likes