Todays temptation: Big Sur

Hello MBP (Retina, Mid 2015)
16Gb RAM 2,8G i7

Big Sur works very very well, I can for sure say that is even smooth then Catalina.

1 Like

Over 500 comments in that post mostly about install failures. Iā€™m really upset that Apple puts out new OS and users have so many problems. I had some major issues with Catalina also. I guess Iā€™ll wait until the latest and greatest OS installs bugs are gone.

Casey

1 Like

Same spec as mine. Good to read. I will wait till there is a few updates on it first and let the early users iron out the problems !

I must admit, I do find Catalina very very smooth.

They really messed up font activation in Big Sur (I use RightFont).

Not always but almost every time I launch one of my Code-editors or the Terminal (I use the JetBrains font in all of my editors), the font is changed to a normal Sans Serif (note: not the default editor font: Menlo). Although the JetBrains font in RightFont is still active, I have to deactivate and reactivate it again and also quit/ restart the Code-editor, then it works until the next failure.
This is really annoying, never had any such issues before Big Sur.

Probably some kind of font cache problem, I havenā€™t figured it out yet.

MacBook Pro 15ā€ 2017 16GB RAM, upgrade went smooth on 11/15 and I have not run into any issues yetā€¦ I have tested Blocs, RapidWeaver, Microsoft Office 365, Adobe CC Suite (mainly Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Lightroom Classic and Cloud), Nova, Transmit, Final Cut, and a few other apps i use.

I did fully backup (copied user directory to an external drive) and prepared a Big Sur install USB in case I needed to do a fresh installā€¦

I did remove my AV (Sophos Home Premium) as it would not update to the version they said was comparable with Big Sur.

1 Like

I got my Sophos working after a lot of trial and error. I kept receiving the ā€˜open system settings and click allowā€¦ā€™ message, but the app wasnā€™t listed there. I also, downloaded the latest version of Sophos from their site, but that didnā€™t work. In the end, I just shut down my MacBook overnight because the AV wasnā€™t running. When I restarted it the next morning to have another bash at fixing the problem, Sophos ran perfectly after a few seconds. I havenā€™t had any more problems with it. But thatā€™s just my experience of it.

1 Like

MacBook 12" Early 2015 with 8GB RAM.
Updated w/o any problems today 11/16. Download approx. 2 hrs and Installation approx. 40 min.
Itā€™s just my ā€œcouch-Macā€ with only a few apps. Big Sur runs smoother than Catalina. Just didnā€™t fix a iCloud Drive bug, which I had since Catalinaā€¦ hoped it will.
Will update my MacPro 2nd gen. maybe next week, as long I wonā€™t run in any problems with the MacBook.

No worries for me lol

But seriously though. Please exercise caution, everyone!

1 Like

I normally hang off until a .1 revision but havenā€™t actually moved up from Mojave because Catolina and Big Sur have dropped support for some old 32bit codecs and I havenā€™t got around to converting the media archive. Anyway, I did come across this link from Adobe which could apply if youā€™re still using their products:

tl/dr - theyā€™re still testing!

Adobe always seems like a slow beast. I think Affinity shows them how it should be done :grin:

3 Likes

@PeteSharp, do you use the Affinity products? Heavy user? (I know, weā€™re going off topic)
I really wish I could jump ship from Adobe. I have the Affinity suite but not yet upgraded to the most recent versions, but I originally found a lot of the fundamentals lacking. Being first and foremost an illustrator/retoucher/artworker, the 3 Adobe publishing giant killers are really my workhorses.
Having been an Adobe user since about 1995 or so, the different keyboard commands were really throwing me. Perhaps Iā€™ll give them another goā€¦
Nice to be reminded of them again!

I use Affinity designer every day. I also have Photo, although havenā€™t spent as much time as I would like getting to know it. I keep falling back to Pixelmator (Been a user since day 1).
I was in the beta for Publisher. But again I didnā€™t get an opportunity to fully use it as I would like. (I used Indesign many years ago, and was excited about Publisher).

Iā€™m going to make a push to really delve into Photo and I have some potential projects next year that Publisher would be excellent for.

1 Like

@TrevReav I have all three Affinity apps following 20 years with Adobe using Lightroom and Photoshop, though I stopped upgrading after they went the subscription route. Designer is a complete mystery to me and I need to spend some time learning, though itā€™s not high on my priority list at present.

Photo is good. In some ways better and other ways worse, but the biggest challenge is taking a deep breath and committing to work in a different way. Due to old habits I still feel more comfortable in Photoshop but that doesnā€™t mean you canā€™t do the job just as well with Photo. Previously I was a professional photographer, however my needs as a web designer are a little less demanding.

As for Publisher I am by no means an expert but I absolutely love that app and itā€™s enabling me to do a lot of new things. The coolest part in all of this is studio link where you can open Publisher and then flick between apps while working on the same file in a seamless manner and Affinity files share the same format. Take a look at the video here:

Itā€™s currently on version 1.8.6 and I would think the argument for sticking with Adobe will become very tenuous once version 2 ships. When I speak with printers they are all familiar now with Publisher and I can export as PDF or EPS etc with no problems. The presets and live preflight checks also stop me from making silly mistakes.

It currently needs a good alternative for Bridge or Lightroom, but I hear that is in the works. I picked up Designer and Publisher on special sales when they were just over Ā£20 each and thatā€™s a pretty compelling offer.

3 Likes

@TrevReav I also use the Affinity suite. I find Designer and Publisher to work well. Not an expert but love the products. I learn more every time I use them.

I donā€™t use Photo as I subscribe to Adobe Photographers Plan. 10.00 bucks a month and I get Lightroom and Photoshop, which I think is a good deal. Iā€™ve used Photoshop for years and Lightroom from day one. I get updates as they release them. For me, I just donā€™t want to learn something that Iā€™m proficient in using.

Adobe switching to the subscription model (that really is not affordable unless youā€™re in a larger business) was what led me to Blocs. I could not justify paying for the whole creative suite.

casey

1 Like

I have the Mac Mini late 2014 and none of them work on mine it keeps resetting when trying to load my page, the oly way I can get around it is to make a new webpage, I would have to do this every time, I cannot reload what I have already done

Just installed and went great!

Iā€™m on MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
16GB Ram / Processor 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

It seems to have gone OK for me as well on a 2018 mini, however I did wait until I had finished a project and only did so with the knowledge that I have a working backup running Mojave.

Over the years I have found that Apple OS versions seem to go in cycles where one year will seem a bit broken and the next one is great. If you are wondering Big Sur should be in the good year category.

I just downloaded Big Sur (11.1) yesterday. It took about 4-5 hours to download and the installation was a smooth process, it took some time but I did not have any issues or disruptions.
Everything is running well so far including blocs 4.

I am using iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
3.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 Processor