Todays temptation: Big Sur

I never download a new OS till Im 100 % sure it works with all my apps!

2 Likes

MacBook Pro 2019.

Iā€™ve downloaded it. All my app appear to be running fine (they open, but I havenā€™t ā€˜workedā€™ with them): Blocs 3, Hype Pro, Whisk, all 3 Affinity apps, Forklift 3. The only thing Iā€™m having an issue with is Sophos Home (security). Itā€™s now turned off and informs me I need to ā€˜take actionā€™, only the required steps arenā€™t possible.

Anyway, thatā€™s just my experience of the update. I canā€™t guarantee you wonā€™t have problems with the apps I mentioned, should you upgrade.

1 Like

After trying, unsuccessfully I thought, to rectify the issues with Sophos, it appears to starting working now.

1 Like

ā€¦and not working again.

1 Like

The only app so far, thatā€™s not working with Big Sur is the Native Instruments software. But I was aware of that, thanks to NI sending a mail before the Big Sur release.

1 Like

Hi folks,
Big Sur is running smooth, fast and with no issues at all here on a MacMini 2018 with a1TB SSD and 8GB memory.

Hereā€™s a list of apps that are running absolutely flawless.

Apps:
Blocs all Versions
Filemaker 19.1.3
MacGiro 10
MonkeyOffice 16.3.2
Bank X Pro
1Password
BusyCal
Forklift 3
ChronoSync
Pixelmator Pro
Compress
PDFScanner

Printer & Scanner:
Canon TS6200
Canon Lide 210

3 Likes

I made me a Blocs Big Sur Icon just for fun, if you too want to use it, hereā€™s the icon within a zip archive. It turned out quite nice, I think. Have fun.

Blocs-app-BigSur.zip (442.7 KB)
preview

8 Likes

Nice!
Is it possible to also have the original Blocs icon (the purple exagram) inside a squircle container?

Thanks!

Not nice, update hung up during installation and nothing seems to work getting it running. Canā€™t boot in to safe mode and canā€™t start a backup install without out getting into safe mode. Donā€™t you just love Apple. Not!

Casey

Interesting. I had 2 moments, where the screen was black for maybe 2 mins each time. The first time I decided to leave it and wait. That was a long 2 mins lol.

Been on the forums and iā€™ve tried a few things.
No luck yet!
Casey

Any further luck with this @casey1823?

Yes, I think Iā€™m ok. Just got back running. I booted using Command+R and went changed my startup drive to my external backup. I had just made a backup before trying to update. Then I copied the backup to the hard drive. Had to restart and change my startup disk back to the hard drive.

Not going to try installing the new os for a while!!!

Casey

1 Like

Hi ā€“ After downloading and well into the install process, I got hung up after about 98% install (it stayed there for about an 1 hour)ā€¦so I turned off my computer for 5 minutes, and then turned it back on, and the installation was complete. Strange, but it worked, and Big Sur is very smooth.

edit: MBP 2016

1 Like

Glad it worked for you. No such luck for me. I wonā€™t be upgrading until they get the bugs out.

Just glad I was able to restore mine.

Casey

1 Like

What Mac do you have @casey1823?

2016 MacBook Pro with 1 gig ssd and 16 ram. Should upgrade fine.

Casey

1 Like

If you have a 2013 MBP be cautious :scream_cat:

4 Likes

I have one too. Will wait. Thanks!

2 Likes

My daughter is now using my late 2013 MBP. I told her to hold off also.

2 Likes