Blocs, brics and .... premade html widgets

I did choose to buy Blocsapp, because I think I can do much more with this piece of software, then when I would buy Everwebapp (although some things can be made easier to do when using blocs compared to EW. I really hope some will made easier to handle in a future version, without the need of coding. And like @Norm said: There will be big improvement in Blocs 3. :slight_smile:

1 Like

[quote=“Blocs_User, post:12, topic:2443”]
Not sure what is wrong with a little positive focused feedback.[/quote]
I don’t see what is wrong with that either, nor did I say there was. My comment was about the generalised comment about developers.

I don’t have one, but I find your tone offensive.

I think Norm is doing just fine and while he has a list, I don’t.

I don’t know what the point of your post was.

Likewise. At least we can agree on that.

@Norm I was looking at the other posts in this forum and saw a post of placing text on top of a image. You can see the lots of things you need to do with blocs.
Place text on image

In EW you simple first put a shape (image) on the dynamic area and then you place the text on top by drag and drop a text area. Within 2 seconds all done without using classes, DIV, and so on. Would be so great if Blocs can do the same starting from Blocs 3. See also the example from 3 december.

https://forum.blocsapp.com/uploads/db8018/original/2X/e/e80b58465b19553edb759ede4f30da0b49bc06d4.png

I Totally agree… it is much smarter, efficient, It takes to long time to create classes for everything.
If we get this function we don´t need special made templates. I would also like to see an old classic built in which I have used since 1997, trigger MOUSE OVER OBJECT

Yes but is this responsive? Your design needs to look right on more than just a computer screen.

The most important thing is that sites are responsive, the freedom of movement comes in after that. My approach is a compromise that is a step closer, but it’s not going to let you place anything anywhere on the page.

3 Likes

Was curious so I looked at the app.[quote=“Norm, post:18, topic:2443”]
Yes but is this responsive? The most important thing is that sites are responsive.
[/quote]

Nope, actually the apps workflow is not responsive.

Instead it uses a “mobile redirect” to a required separate mobile designed page. Kind of a convoluted workflow in that regard. True responsive sites replaced the widespread use of (m.)mobile redirects long ago. Plus most search engines no longer like that approach and score higher for purely responsive by comparison.

You have to design and define a separate mobile version of your page.

Talked about here in this video:

@Blocs_User Yeah I thought so. When it comes to implementing freehand object movement, code quality comes first IMO.

@MNL @Paug Another really cool feature coming to Blocs very soon (like next week) is the developer API (alpha). As a little test I just created a custom image Bric with a text overlay. took me like 15mins. I’ll post it here in the forum in a few hours so you can install it and try it out, I think it should work with 2.5 beta build 3.

Incase you didn’t know, the Dev API will allow pretty much anyone who can write HTML+CSS+JS to create custom Brics for Blocs to address scenarios like this when you don’t want to faff on with classes and just want a reusable nugget of code to reuse in any project. Custom Brics work just like regular ones, you just drop em in and set their values.

1 Like

Ok so the compiler still needs work, I’ll post the custom bric for this tomorrow.

1 Like

I am not a coder. I know a little about HTML, but CSS and JS isn’t my thing (yet). I know EW isn’t responsive. One of the reasons to choose for Blocs. But it would be great if there could be a little more EW into Blocs for people who don’t have any knowledge of coding. And yes, code quality need to comes first. You are the expert, so maybe you can find a way in future updates.

I guess with the new Developer API, smart guys will make custom Blocs, which the want to sell to other Blocs users. In my opinion if you say: “Cleverly designed to accommodate complete beginners or those familiar with web design.” then beginners shouldn’t need to buy a video course first to know how Blocs should be used (besides the free basic video’s supplied when you buy the app), need to buy custom build Blocs or need to search for all coding solutions to get things done. This is positive criticism no bashing or something like that. The more I “play” with this app and read this forum, the more options I discover. So keep up the good work. I am looking forward and very curious to the Blocs 3 app you mentioned before!

2 Likes

Norm,

I’m looking forward to your solution to freely move objects to an extent. I would also like to see some type of Layering so you can place boxes over boxes with text over those boxes and change the fill, stroke and transparency on any of those objects. Would be great to even have a tool to draw boxes for that purpose and possibly later on other shapes to follow.

I would also like to see a menu brick that goes all the way across the screen without being attached to the nav block as an additional option.

Couldn’t agree more…Musethemes has over 200 widgets and templates for 70-80 bucks a year. They are yours if you cancel. Some individual Brics have been priced at nearly half the price of the Blocs app itself.

if Blocs is to be a smashing success it will have to beat out a lot of competition. A “can do attitude” and actually “doing it” is everything. I hope when pricing Brics this is taken into consideration.

2 Likes

I am fascinated with blocs and the brics that they have created, but I would also like to see more integrations for designer, it would be interesting if you could integrate the widgets from muse to blocs (I have too many), to use them would be a great advantage, for those who do not know to program.

3 Likes

Uh Uh yes… some widgets to add, that could be cool, save so much time, especially for non coders. :heart_eyes:
In Adobe MUSE they also had these type of widgets. just drag and drop some cool stuff.

1 Like

Blocs desperately needs an image with a text and tint overlay that can change when rollovered and act as a link.
So many pages use this and I cant believe it hasn’t been implemented in Blocs

The Blocs store launches next week with a bric that does exactly this :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Brilliant !! I I have been doing it with CSS and HTML but it gets messy. Thank you very much !

It has a very small price tag but it has some snazzy options.

8 Likes

Wish it was next week already!

1 Like

Any chance that new store will have a MARKDOWN bric in it, I need one desperately! There is a stack on RW called Scribe that would be a fantastic addition to Blocs. I like the idea of not having to create separate paragraph elements and being able to inline images!

1 Like