New Bric: Read More for Blocs

Hi CG:

I have tried everything I could think of, formatting the text in a word processor then pasting it into the box. Nothing works. What you get in the box is it. There does not seem to be a way to carry formatting over.
I was SUPER hopeful this bric would work for me, as I really needed it, but it doesn’t. Without being able to format the text, it is a useless bric. I am sure those who have a few sentences, or don’t have any particular formatting need, this works just fine.
The thing is, we really need this Bric in Blocs.
No idea how to fix it…I am not a programmer,. Wish I was…

Rich

From memory try <br> and twice in a row to leave a line space too. I might be wrong!

Yes, I remember that…maybe worth a try.

Thanks!
Rich

Hi @WeatherguyNH,

What you are trying to do really isn’t the scope of the the current iteration Read More plugin. It’s a matter of what’s possible within Blocs and what is not. To get formatting you can copy in HTML formatted text. It’s not the intended usage however, please read more to understand why…

The Read More plugin wasn’t meant to be a container for large amounts of text. There are other UI components that do this better.

Each web component has an ideal use case. Consider these:

• Tabs
  • Accordion
  • Modals
  • Read More

Read More fits a particular need that is completely unique from the other offerings. It’s for truncating text. You can mix it into larger text flows to truncate tertiary pieces of information, specific paragraphs, that sort of thing.

I think Tab Anything or Tab Anything Pro could be a better fit for your use case.

That said, the api has advanced some since the Read More was created. A future iteration may very well take a different approach.

Thanks for the reply Whittfield.
I understand what you are saying, but “read more” is such a simple solution that it is hard to just walk away without wanting that bric to handle large amounts of text a little better. HTML formatted text just doesn’t work for me.
I am looking at using a modal instead…while I continue to hope that you, or someone else, comes out with a bric I can really use.
Thank you again for the reply. I know you are a busy guy.

Rich

1 Like

Don’t know if it work for you but have a look:

Pealco:

Thanks for the link…not sure what I am looking at?

Rich

https://blocs.pt/read_less_read_more.html

Pealco:

Thank you so much!!!
I will have to play with this.
Thank you!!

Rich

Hi @Whittfield Could you update this plugin for bootstrap 5? it shows as incompatible.

Are you using the latest version? 1.3 is compatible with BS5

1 Like

Mine is fine.

I have version 1.0.0 haha. How come I have never got any notification for the update?

How to update?

Ah Found how to update, had to go to the old email, luckily I hadn’t deleted it. Every time I want to do an update I have to use that link? how do I know when there is an update?

Hi, does it work with wordpress custom fields?

Hi,

No, Sorry this isn’t Wordpress related item. There are Read More plugins for Wordpress on the repo. Although this version is rather unique and awesome in it’s own way! :grinning:

Ok, thanks for the reply Whittfield.

Hi Whittfield, I just bought the bric. It’s very nice. Thanks for making it!

But how do I enlarge the font size from the default paragraph size to h4? I tried adding <h4> in the box, but it didn’t work. Thanks.

Hi Casey, I love your use of the bric. Would you mind sharing with me how you enlarge the font size in the truncated text? Thanks!

You can easily add a class to the entire bric and it will adopt the text settings you choose.